Skip to main content

Career Confusion

Career Confusion

Grades: The Rat Race

From the starting of the school, we all are told that to excel in life, to achieve something big, to become wealthy, etc we need to get good grades, straight A+ and A, nothing less. But do you really think it is the truth? Getting good marks doesn’t guarantee you that you will surely succeed in life. All these lies the society feeds you are toxic. Don’t trust them blindly. These lies blur your ability to decide what’s good for you. There are people who are doing really amazing stuff even without being a topper.

Deciding Your Future: Grades

We all are expected to choose a career based on grades. If you get A+ then you are expected to become doctor or engineer, if B+ then CA or teachers, and if you are on the bottom food chain(read as grade chain) you are expected to be reporters, professor, etc. Leave grades, I have even seen people recommending career based on writing. I have bad handwriting and I have heard this many time “He’s going to be a doctor because he has bad handwriting”. And I am standing there awestruck and slightly embarrassed.

Deciding Your Future: Society

If you are confused about which career option you should choose, then don’t worry society is there to help you get out of this dilemma. They will tell you how their friend’s cousin’s daughter is pursuing engineering and you should pursue it too, or how they think that you should become a lawyer. Most of the time they also try to stop you from pursuing jobs like painter, musician, cricketer, etc because they think these aren’t a good and stable career and you should not waste your time pursuing petty careers like these.

Deciding Your Future: Friends

Friends play a very influential role in deciding the career. According to statistics, you are 68.3% likely to choose a stream your best friend chose. This happens because of the following reasons:
  1. Confused: You and your friend are confused
  2. Separation: Fear of separation from friends is very high.
  3. Daredevil: Many take by thinking this, “We will see what will happen”

Deciding Your Future: Parents

Many times students are forced to take a career option which their parents want them to take. The parents wanted to achieve something they couldn’t. So most of the times their kids are supposed to fulfill their dreams. Also, to parents, some jobs are not up to the class or not good(painter, poet, chef, etc) and they don’t think it’s good for you so they don’t let you take them. One of the examples is ‘Dangal1’’, everyone is appreciating how a dad made his daughters such good wrestlers that they won a gold medal for the country, I too appreciate that, but we shouldn’t forget that he did the same thing as many other parents do, but the daughters achieved something big so everyone is going gaga over it. I know this girl, she’s had taken medical stream in her 12 grade and scored 98% in her finals and now she won’t pursue medical, why ? Because her father wanted her to be a doctor but now she said that she won’t be able to do it as she can’t bear the blood involved.

Deciding Your Future: You

The most important factor in deciding the future is YOU. But most of the time we are confused. We haven’t decided what we want to do. We easily get influenced. If you just watched a documentary related to sportsman you want to become a sportsman, you just watched a movie related to the army then you want to join and what not. This is not the only reason for confusion. Other factors include:
  1. Money: Many take a job which they think would offer them a high salary(commercial pilots, air hostess, etc).
  2. Work Load: Many take some jobs because they are easy(librarian, assistant, etc).

Confusion: The Maze

People are confused, more than they should be. They don’t have decided what they want to become, so they go from one stream to another. Many people first do engineering and when they don’t find a job, they do MBA and start working as a banker (*cough Chetan Bhagat cough). I mean if you wanted to become banker why did you waste 6 years studying science.

Conclusion

In the end, I would just like to say that choose a job which you love, which you can see yourself doing till you are an aged person of 60 years and which won’t feel like just work but as fun. Follow your passion, if you like playing instruments and wanna do something in music, then follow it, practice and achieve it. Don’t think “what will society think?”because this world is really cruel if you stop to think about such petty things, this society will crush you. The society is always going to say one thing or other but it’s up to you if you want to pay attention to what they say or just continue following your passion. Keep hustling for things you want.
"Follow your dreams and work hard to achieve them because if you don’t work to achieve your dreams then someone else would hire you to achieve theirs"

Thanks

Surreal

Footnotes

  1. Dangal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangal_(film)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

Dear Diary Info This is a piece of fiction. Art work by Sara. Poem I sit alone in my locked room trying to adapt this gloom the tears rolling out of my eyes just as the blood flowing out my wrist one hand holds the cigarette while the other holds beer the sad heart of mine doesn’t let me see the picture clear This pain, this sadness, it is unbearable I tell myself picking another bottle from table I sit in the corner pondering what to do how to get better to whom should I go Staring at ceiling thinking about my feeling I need someone to tell it will be alright to tell things will again be great to tell it’s not a big deal to cheer me up and complete my meal I miss the old me the one when I was happy the one when Malibu was just a place and I didn’t need alcohol to maintain my grace the one when I could cheer without a beer the one when stag was just a type of deer the one when trip getting canceled was the worst heartbreak the one when I acted bei

Regrets

Regrets Story Time When I was a kid(mid-schooler), I wanted to be my school’s Head Boy or at least part of the council member. So, I decided that I will take part in the election. But here’s a thing, I have a mild stage fright that means regardless of how confident I am in person or a small group of people. I can’t speak on stage as confidently as I spoke that in my mind. This could be one of the reasons for me not nominating my name in the election. Currently, I am in class 12th which means that I am eligible for the post of Head Boy. As soon as the academic session started I was waiting patiently(or rather impatiently) for the election to start. But as soon as the election time was getting closer, I started about overthinking about it. At one point, I even thought of not participating because I started fearing that I would lose the election and it would be an embarrassing situation for me. But then, I thought that it’s better that I participate and lose inste