Skip to main content

When Heavens Poured

Surreal blog #4


Date: 7 Feb 2019
Time: 4:37 pm

Info

Hey! This time I wrote a story. Hope you enjoy it.

When Heavens Poured

It was still raining outside when Meera woke up from her afternoon nap. “It’s 5:15 already, I overslept again” Meera exclaimed. In between her serials the phone chimed, “I will be home soon” Amit’s message read. At around 8 pm, the doorbell rang. Meera excitedly ran to the door hoping to see her husband after 1 week. But instead of her husband, an old sage was standing in front of her shivering from the cold. His big grey colored flowing beard hid the wrinkles on his face. He was so thin that it looked like he was just made of skin and bones. He was wearing loose saffron colored clothes and had a bag with him. Before Meera could say anything, the sage said “Praise the almighty! Daughter, do you have something to eat? I am hungry from last 2 days”. Meera thought of asking the sage to go somewhere else but she felt pity for him and asked him to wait for a while. She went to the kitchen, microwaved the leftover fried rice from the afternoon and again came to the door where the sage was sitting and started talking to him. On talking with him, she came to know that his name was Gangadhar Swami and he hailed from a small village called Bhrampura in Himachal Pradesh. He was telling the story how and why he became a sage meanwhile the microwave chimed. Meera brought hot rice and gave it to him. Gangadhar continued the story and told Meera how he left his home at age 23, came to Varanasi and became a sage. After finishing the meal, Gangadhar blessed him with a long and happy life. It was still raining when Gangadhar was leaving. “It is so dark outside, where will this old guy go? Amit is also about to reach home I think I should let him stay in the garage tonight” Meera thought to herself. As the sage opened the gate, Meera yelled from behind “Baba1, wait!”. Gangadhar turned around and walked towards Meera. “Baba, I think you should stay with us tonight,” she said. He declined the offer saying that he doesn’t want to disturb her and her husband but still Meera insisted. After some insist he agreed to stay overnight. Meera took him to the garage where she arranged the extra bed for him to sleep. After saying goodnight, Meera returned to her bedroom. She received another message from Amit, the message read “Stuck in traffic don’t know long will it take to reach home”. Quite irritated after reading the message, she started scrolling through her Facebook feed. While scrolling through the feed, she saw a post which sent chills through her whole body. She started sweating in such cold weather. She couldn’t believe what she read, she rubbed her eyes and again read the post but the words were still the same. “Alert!!! A serial killer who had killed 9 women mercilessly till now escaped from the prison” the message said. His last location was in the city nearby Meera’s place. The serial killer in the photo looked exactly like Gangadhar. Meera realized she had forgotten to close her bedroom’s door. She looked towards the door. The door started to open slowly. Meera’s heart was beating faster than ever. She almost fainted when she saw the big dagger appear from the small gap between the door. The door opened more, Gangadhar entered the room with the dagger laughing. Meera started screaming as he was towards her. Meera woke up with a sudden jerk. She was sweating all over. This was her worst nightmare ever. She checked the time, it was 8:30. Her heartbeats were still high. She called Amit and asked when will he reach home. He replied that he was about to reach home. After 5 minutes the doorbell rang. Meera ran to the door to hug her husband and meet him after so long. When she opened the door chills ran down her spine. Her heart seemed to have stopped, her pupils expanded in mixed emotion of fear, anxiety, and shock. In front of her, Gangadhar was standing with a sly smile.

Footnotes

  1. Baba: A Hindi word, used to address grandfather or someone elderly

Surreal


Comments

  1. Remarkable work with horror prevailing throughout the story. . . looking for some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is pretty awesome. Well written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Diary

Dear Diary Info This is a piece of fiction. Art work by Sara. Poem I sit alone in my locked room trying to adapt this gloom the tears rolling out of my eyes just as the blood flowing out my wrist one hand holds the cigarette while the other holds beer the sad heart of mine doesn’t let me see the picture clear This pain, this sadness, it is unbearable I tell myself picking another bottle from table I sit in the corner pondering what to do how to get better to whom should I go Staring at ceiling thinking about my feeling I need someone to tell it will be alright to tell things will again be great to tell it’s not a big deal to cheer me up and complete my meal I miss the old me the one when I was happy the one when Malibu was just a place and I didn’t need alcohol to maintain my grace the one when I could cheer without a beer the one when stag was just a type of deer the one when trip getting canceled was the worst heartbreak the one when I acted bei

Regrets

Regrets Story Time When I was a kid(mid-schooler), I wanted to be my school’s Head Boy or at least part of the council member. So, I decided that I will take part in the election. But here’s a thing, I have a mild stage fright that means regardless of how confident I am in person or a small group of people. I can’t speak on stage as confidently as I spoke that in my mind. This could be one of the reasons for me not nominating my name in the election. Currently, I am in class 12th which means that I am eligible for the post of Head Boy. As soon as the academic session started I was waiting patiently(or rather impatiently) for the election to start. But as soon as the election time was getting closer, I started about overthinking about it. At one point, I even thought of not participating because I started fearing that I would lose the election and it would be an embarrassing situation for me. But then, I thought that it’s better that I participate and lose inste

Career Confusion

Career Confusion Grades: The Rat Race From the starting of the school, we all are told that to excel in life, to achieve something big, to become wealthy, etc we need to get good grades, straight A+ and A, nothing less. But do you really think it is the truth? Getting good marks doesn’t guarantee you that you will surely succeed in life. All these lies the society feeds you are toxic. Don’t trust them blindly. These lies blur your ability to decide what’s good for you. There are people who are doing really amazing stuff even without being a topper. Deciding Your Future: Grades We all are expected to choose a career based on grades. If you get A+ then you are expected to become doctor or engineer, if B+ then CA or teachers, and if you are on the bottom food chain(read as grade chain) you are expected to be reporters, professor, etc. Leave grades, I have even seen people recommending career based on writing. I have bad handwriting and I have heard this many time “He’s going